Over the coming weeks I will be sharing my childhood in recipes from my grandmother my mothers mother who I knew as “Nana Lucy”. A beautiful, kind and caring soul who taught me alot in the few short years I knew her. These recipes are a labour of love and a journey of self discovery and healing for me. The first one I have made is her Welsh Cakes and that is what I am sharing right here.
Welsh Cakes or “Pice ar y maen” in the Welsh are basically very similar to a fruit scone, only they aren’t cooked in the oven they are cooked on a griddle or in a heavy based frypan. They contain Currants rather than Sultanas as traditionally many people had better access to Blackcurrants than they did Grape Vines in Wales.
Yes, yes, I know Wales has Grapevines to but thats only due to people being able to affordabley have greenhouses and to varieties now produced that do better in soggy and frosty regions. When my Nana was about that was not the case, so Currant Bushes it was.
250g / 10 ozs Self Raising Flour or Plain Flour + 1 tsp Baking Powder
A Pinch of Mixed Spice
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
125g / 5 ozs Butter
75g / 3ozs Castor Sugar or Superfine Sugar (NOT Icing Sugar)
50g / 2 ozs Dried Currants
5 tspns Milk
Oil for cooking IF prefered (I don’t use it I prefer jsut the hot griddle so did Nana)
- Mix Flour, Salt, Mixed Spice and Baking Powder together in a large mixing bowl
2. Rub in the Butter gently until it looks like soft breadcrumbs
3. Add the Milk and Egg and mix until you get a soft but fairly stiff dough
4. Roll out to 5mm/ 1/4inch thick
5. Use a 3 inch cookie cutter and cut out rounds.
6. Reroll leftover dough and keep cutting out rounds until all the dough is used up.
7. Cook over a medium heat for approximately 3 minutes on each side.
8. Toss in Sugar afterwards while still hot.
9. Serve as is or with Butter
If you would like to recieve a downloadable and printable recipe card every week, and also have your name in my credits of special series videos like this one, then please consider joining my Patreon for $1 a month. Yes you read that right I said $1. In the UK that means 72p. I do not have other teirs so if you wish to add more thats up to you but everyone is the same and recieves the same and it is like that so noone has to miss out.
Love you guys heaps
xox Bloo xox
ooo ooo PS. If you do try this out please let me know in the comments how it went for you and how you enjoyed it. xox Bloo xox