Last year Tanny asked me if I could come up with a cake that was a cross over between a Bakewell Tart and a Coconut Cup Cake both being his favourites. This is what I have come up with and aptly named them Tanny Cakes after him because it was all his idea.
Before I get into the recipe though I just want to say a couple of things. Tanny loves them !!! However he has asked a couple of things for his taste.
- Please use better jam otherwise they are way too sweet.
- Please next time use more coconut.
Fair enough I reckon. These were an experiment and honestly my kids would’ve devoured them in seconds. I have to admit I would probably use less sponge on each one next time or perhaps attempt to make them in a muffin tin. Oh and I would’ve cut the cherries on half and added each half on top BEFORE they went in the oven. That’s just a me thing though because i forgot to put them on until the end.
Anyhooo enough chatter here’s the recipe :-
- 2 Sheets of Short Crust Pastry
- Jam Of Your Choosing
Almond Paste Ingredients
- 2 1/2 Cups Ground Almonds/Almond Flour/Almond Meal
- 1 1/3 Cups Icing Sugar
- 1 Large Egg Yolk
Coconut Sponge Ingredients
- 300g Butter
- 300g Granulated Sugar
- 300g Plain Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 60g Shredded or Desicated Coconut
- Glace Cherries, cut in half for decoration (optional)
1.Cut 24 x 3inch rounds with a cookie cutter from pastry, place in individual bun tins.
2. Add 1 teaspoon of Jam in each pastry case.
3. Mix all Almond Paste Ingredients together well. Top Jam with Almond Paste to cover.
4. For Sponge :- Cream the Butter and Sugar together. Add Eggs one at a time and mix them in well.
5. Place teaspoonfuls of sponge on top of the almond paste and spread across to cover.
6. Place in preheated oven 180C/350f/ Gas Mark 4 for 20 minutes or until fully cooked and golden on top.
7. Leave in bun tin to cool for 10 minutes BEFORE bringing them out and placing them on a cake rack to cool completely.