I make Tanny’s lunch everyday for him to go to work. However he chose to buy his breakfast and since he works as hard as he does I never saw an issue with it. However once I saw how much it was costing per week I had to find a way for us to cut that back. Making his favourite bakery buys from scratch seemed to be the best option.
Thankfully Tanny is very much up for this because he knows they will be bigger AND they will be made with his favourite Sausage Meat, Baked Beans and Cheese so he will have exactly what he wants. Which is the good part of making your own bakes as it means you can make them according to your taste and not having to put up with what someone else has decided for you.
Tanny has said though although he is enjoying these bakes he would like me to tweak them somewhat and put less sausage in them and which is awesome because it means I can now make 18 out of the sausage meat and not just 6. I have kept the recipe as I made it however so just let me know how you have tweaked it for your tastes or requirements.
This is a make it to suit you recipe really so if you wanted to make it veggie … make it veggie. Swop out the sausage for veggie sausage and the cheese for vegan cheese if thats what you would prefer. Make it for you and your family.
Recipe – Sausage, Beans and Cheese Bake
2 packets or batches of Puff Pastry
1 tin of Baked Beans
150g Grated Cheese
1 Pack of Sausages of your choice or 1 packet of Sausage Meat
- Roll out the pastry into a rectangle. Cut into 3 equal rectangles across width wise.
- Shape the sausage into a square patty or cut into small pieces.
- Cook sausage well on both sides in dry frypan over medium heat.
- Layer the sausage, beans and cheese on one half of a pastry strip leaving a 1 cm border around the edge.
- Fold over the pastry and crimp the pastry together using a fork. Also score the top of the pastry, not all the way through though to allow for stretching.
- Place in preheated oven 220C / 420f / Gas Mark 7 – If room temperature – 20-25 minutes. If cooking from frozen 35-45 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.